INEAS – National Authority for Assessment and Accreditation in Healthcare
“INEAS is an important asset for the Tunisian Healthcare system. It provides decision makers, professionals and citizen with timely, rigorous and evidence-based information. Reaching high quality, equitable and efficient healthcare services in Tunisia, is our objective.” Prof. Khaled Zeghal, General Director, INEAS.
History and structure
INEAS is a national authority under the auspices of the Ministry of Health, funded by the Tunisian government. As an independent and not-for-profit agency, INEAS works with health care decision makers, professionals, scientific societies and other parties in the health sector to improve quality and efficiency of care delivered to patients through its 4 four inter-related missions. In addition to the accreditation of healthcare organizations, INEAS was created to promote the use of cost-effectiveness analysis and evidence-based medicine for decision-making in healthcare.
Initially established by Decree No. 1709 of September 6, 2012, under the name of INASanté (National Authority for Accreditation in Healthcare), INEAS adopted its new name in 2018 to better reflect its mandate and to highlight HTA as one of its main missions.
- Health Technology Assessment with a broad scope (Drugs, medical devices, equipment, medical and surgical procedures, health strategies and programs)
- Development of clinical Practice guidelines, care pathways and Professional Practices Evaluation criteria
- Accreditation of health care organizations in the public and private sector and continuing education activities for healthcare professionals
- Information of health care professionals and citizens
How INEAS Works
INEAS is mandated to assess the added benefit and cost effectiveness of health technologies. It aims to provide rigorous and evidence-based recommendations to inform decision makers on pharmaceuticals and other technologies’ uptake and use. INEAS currently focuses on technologies that are likely to have a major cost or an important impact on the Tunisian Health System.
INEAS is also focusing on:
- HTA processes and methodological guides
- Broadening the range of its HTA activities to medical devices and procedures
- Capacity building and reinforcement of workforce
- Improving communication at national and international level
Knowledge Transfer and Dissemination
Since its creation, INEAS has developed partnerships with main stakeholders of the healthcare system. Besides involving them in its working or peer-review groups, INEAS holds regularly seminars and meetings to strengthen partnerships, facilitate interaction and disseminate results of its work. INEAS encourages the widespread participation of medical professionals and scientific societies in its projects as part of its strategy to enhance the quality results’ implementation.
INEAS’ reports are mainly in French. They can be downloaded from its webpage (http://www.ineas.tn/fr). Its reports are also distributed to policy makers and health care professionals with a brief summary containing key points.
INEAS researchers present their work at national and international conferences and participate in postgraduate education programs.
- Trastuzumab for early and locally advanced HER 2 positive breast cancer (July 2018)
- Guidance for innovation uptake in health care organizations (January 2018)
Current Projects Related to HTA
- Statins, management of dyslipidemia and cardiovascular prevention
- Vemurafenib for the treatment of adult patients with BRAF V600 mutation-positive unresectable or metastatic melanoma
* Information on current and upcoming projects may be obtained from INEAS website (http://www.ineas.tn/fr)
- To broaden the scope of HTA activities to medical devices and medical procedures
- To actively promote culture of HTA in Tunisia and other Middle East and African countries
- To raise awareness and develop sustainable capacity building programs in HTA
Description of population served: National
Population served (mil): 11.4 million (2016)
Current HTA budget (mil USD):variable
Permanent staff: 43
Ongoing TA projects: 3
General Manager: Pr. Khaled Zeghal (email@example.com)
Contact persons: Dr. Mouna Jameleddine
7 bis Rue Ahmed Rami
1002 le belvédère